Does My Home Need a UV Light?

We all know that we rely on air conditioning for comfort in our homes. What may not seem as obvious is that A/C is essential to keeping the air in your home safe and clean. This makes proper maintenance of your home’s HVAC system absolutely essential. Over time, mold and mildew can accumulate in and around HVAC systems. This allows for unwanted particles to circulate through the air in your home. Sheer Comfort is always concerned the health of our Asheville and Buncombe County residents. Adding a Ultra Violet light to your heating and air conditioning system can help the quality of the air you breathe in your home.
UV lights are highly effective at eliminating any harmful growths in your HVAC system. If you have experienced mold or mildew in your home, investing in a UV light can replenish it with clean, healthy air.

How to Detect Mold

Mold and mildew are fungi that grow in damp and humid areas. This can include the inside of air ducts and around HVAC equipment. When particles of these fungi are circulated through the air, they can cause increases in allergies, colds, asthmatic reactions, and other more serious health defects. If your family has suffered an unusual level of any of these symptoms, or if you have noticed pungent odors indoors, there’s a likelihood you have mold in your home.

Why UV Lights?

Ultraviolet (UV) light of the C bandwidth is lethal to microorganisms like fungi without being able to penetrate human skin. Condensation accumulates on the coil of an A/C system, and this moisture is a favorite of mold. Placing a UV light near the coil kills mold and bacteria at the source and prevents it from making its way throughout your HVAC system. These lights are low maintenance, needing only one bulb replacement per every 12 months. It’s a simple and effective way to keep mold and mildew from reaping the benefits of your A/C system. To learn more about the benefits of a UV light for your home’s heating and air system, please contact Sheer Comfort at (828) 357-7215.